Did you know that the very first meeting of the NYC Homebrewers Guild took place right in our building way back in 1987? Yep, for 30 years now this group has been meeting right upstairs from Jimmy’s No. 43 at Burp Castle. In fact, it was where Garrett Oliver – James Beard Award-winning Brewmaster of Brooklyn Brewery – first shared some of his early concoctions. Due to the three bars sharing the same building (the third place is Standings), we’re colloquially known as the “Brewmuda Triangle,” because you can drop in and never leave thanks to all the amazing beer!
We’re still connected to the larger homebrew community, offering up a spot for their annual BJCP (Beer Judge Certification Program) studies and as a drop-off point for homebrewers who are entering next month’s Homebrew Alley XI.
We’ll also be celebrating during NYC Beer Week (February 24th-March 4th), with a great line-up of events to include:
- A kick-off celebration with charcuterie on Friday, February 24th
- Simultap at 5PM on Friday, February 24th – our special tap for NYC Beer Week
- Battle of the Belgians: Trappist Edition on Saturday, February 25th
- Joshua Bernstein’s Homebrew Jamboree on Sunday, February 26th
- Consider Bardwell Beer & Cheese Pairing on Monday, February 27th
- Homebrew Happy Hour in honor of the BJCP classes on Tuesday, February 28th
- NYC Brewer’s Choice (off-site) on Wednesday, March 1st
- Alpine and Green Flash Night on Thursday, March 2nd
- Ronnie Sue Chocolates Sampling with Beer on Friday, March 3rd
- and another cheese-related event TBD
And if you prefer liquor over beer, never fear! Our expanded spirits program will include some exclusive guided tasting events this winter, as we launch Jimmy’s Spirit Council. Among the offerings:
- Jimmy’s Spirits Council Launch Party on Saturday, January 28th: with El Buho Mezcal, Catsill Provisions Honey Whiskey and McKenzie Rye Whiskey
- High West Dinner with Eliza Czander on Thursday, February 9th
- An Irish Spirits St. Patrick’s with Jeff Cioletti (date TBD in March)
- East Meets South – NY State Bourbon Pairing with Lew Bryson on Tuesday, April 4th
Of course, we also have a great seasonal menu, which currently features our amazing lasagna, cassoulet and new hearty vegetarian items that are perfect for winter!
So come on by and enjoy the history of drinking in the Brewmuda Triangle as we keep pouring the best hand-crafted beers, artisan spirits, orchard-to-bar ciders and local wines.