Do you know why your beer tastes bitter? It’s all because of hops, a lovely flower that makes beer taste better! NY State was once the world’s largest provider of hops, and we’re producing another chapter of our successful Saturday Salon series as we welcome hops farmers, brewers and agricultural specialists for this NYC Beer Week event! This Saturday, February 27th, you can come to the Hops Salon (tickets – $10 online; $15 at the door – are available here) and hear all about the challenges, joys and aroma of hops! Includes beer samples (regular menu available; pay as you go). Plus, as an added treat, we’ll be sampling some hops ice cream!
- John Condzella from Condzella Farms on Long Island
- John Segal from Segal Ranch, a 3rd generation farm that originated in NY State before moving to Washington State
- Jamie Adams of Saint James Brewery on Long Island
- Others TBA
We’ll also have a special keg of Saint James Brewery’s beer on tap (available for additional purchase), a beer not readily available in the city.
And speaking of special beers, have you seen our line-up of SMASH (State Malt and State Hops) beers that we have in rotation for NYC Beer Week? Although our cask of English Mild from Rockaway Brewing has kicked (want to try it? tickets are still available for our co-produced event NYC Brewer’s Choice in Brooklyn on Wednesday, February 24th), we have three other SMASH beers currently on draft with several on deck coming:
- Bridge and Tunnel Tank Fund Saison (currently available)
- Gun Hill Brewery’s “Who Spelt it, Dealt it,” an 8% ABV strong spelt ale (currently available)
- Biodome Classic by Greenpoint Beer & Ale Co. (currently available)
- LIC Beer Project’s NYC Saison (available soon)
- Transmitter Brewing’s NY4 New Yorker Weisse (available soon)
- Acidifus Locale, a spelt, lactobacillus and Bartlett pear sour from Greenpoint Beer and Ale
- Sixpoint’s Dry Hop Sour
And don’t miss our two #LiquidLent beer nights:
- Wednesday, February 24th from 5PM – George Flickinger from B. United will bring us a cask of a Trappist beer from Austria: Stift Engelszell’s Gregorius
- Thursday, February 25th from 6PM – Chimay reps will be in the house with two drafts (the white, a tripel, and the blue, a quad) and all their bottles available
Plus, we’ll be sure to save a few special brews for Sunday’s Lechon Craft Beer Lunch (on February 28th). You’ll want to spend your beer week at the unofficial “clubhouse” of NYC Beer Week. You never know which beer celebrity you’ll bump into next!