We think that every week is beer week at Jimmy’s No. 43, but this week, it’s official! We’ll have a full line-up of tastings, events, dinners and outstanding beers during NYC Beer Week (February 20th through March 1st). And with our new artisanal liquor program, we’ll have plenty of options for spirits’ lovers, too.
We officially launch NYC Beer Week tonight at 7 p.m. with the citywide Opening Tap (we’ll be raising our glass filled with Rocky Point Artisan Brewers’ American Brown Ale), but it’s only one of many local beers we’ll be tapping. Among the kegs ready to tap:
- Transmitter Brewing Co. (Queens) – NY1 beer, a pale ale/sour made with all NY State ingredients
- Folksbier (Brooklyn) – Dark Rye Ale and Light Helles Lager
- Big Alice (Queens) – Rye IPA and Multi-grain Sour
- Other Half (Brooklyn) – Hop Deeded Imperial IPA and Nelson Sauvin Hop IPA
- Plus, we’ll be hosting Wild Beer Company’s Andrew Cooper and Brett Ellis tonight (Friday, February 20th) and be tapping their Evolver IPA-
Among our favorite events we’re hosting is Cicerone v. Cicerone Beer & Food Pairing (tickets here) this Sunday, February 22nd from 2-4 p.m. James Tai and Brendan Woodcock (both candidates for Master Cicerone and posing in their “fighter stance” in the photo) will be pairing beers (5 each; so 10 beers total) to a tasting menu that will include:
- Scallops wrapped in bacon and cooked in gueuze to pair with gueuze
- A parsnip and Brussels’ sprout dish with lemon gremolata to pair with a saison
- Three additional pairings TBD
Also coming up next week, Whiskey aficionado Lew Bryson returns for a pay-as-you-go Beer & Spirits Tasting (with food specials and an option to buy Lew’s book, Tasting Whiskey: An Insider’s Guide to the Unique Pleasures of the World’s Finest Spirits).
And don’t forget that all week long we’ll be featuring the portraits of photographer Matt Coats, who was recently featured on the cover of Beer Advocate Magazine.
Our full beer week schedule:
Friday, February 20th – Opening Tap at 7 p.m
Saturday, February 21st – Josh Bernstein’s Third Annual Homebrew Jamboree
Saturday, February 21st – Matt Coats Exhibition Party
Sunday, February 22nd – Cicerone v. Cicerone: 5-beer + food pairing event with James Tai and Brendan Woodcock
Sunday, February 22nd – Tastes and Sounds of the South with George Kilby, Jr.
Monday, February 23rd – Beer Sessions Radio Prix Fixe Rare Beer Dinner Featuring Chef Matt Garelick
Tuesday, February 24th – NYC Brewer’s Choice at Sanders Studios
Wednesday, February 25th – Beer & Spirits Night with Lew Bryson
Friday, February 27th – Very Special Tap: Sahti from Finland
Saturday, February 28th –Pig & Whiskey Bacon Brunch Sampler
We hope to see you during NYC Beer Week!