From our annual cassoulet cook-off in January through Battle of the Belgians just a couple weeks ago, Jimmy’s No. 43 was host to countless events, tastings, dinners and meet-and-greets. We look back fondly on some of our favorite moments we shared with you in 2014:
- *Slow Food Founder Carlo Petrini visits! We were truly honored to have the opportunity to meet, interview and host the leader of the slow food movement when he came to NYC this past October. We really hope to see him again in the spring when he has tentative plans to return to the city. You can read more about Carlo’s visit with us here.
- *Food & Wine Magazine names us one of the Best Gastropubs in the U.S.! We were truly humbled to be named to this list. Grazie!
- *Liquid Lent! Based on a blogger who decided to consume nothing but beer during Lent, Jimmy Carbone decided to undertake his own Liquid Lent this year, exploring vegetarian foods paired with great Belgian beers.
- *The Launch of Pop-Up Sundays. Jimmy’s No. 43 has a long history of discovering and nurturing talent in the kitchen, and this year we started a series of pop-ups on Sundays that featured many different food styles. Our favorite had to be August’s Perfectly Evil Pop-Up with Revolving Dansk and Evil Twin’s Jeppe Jarnit-Bjergsø.
- *Battle of the Belgians. It was back to basics for us at Battle of the Belgians on December 6th, with a wider selection of beers and a roast pig to round out the fun. You can reminisce (even if it just happened) on the event here.
- *The Real Cider Manifesto and Ciderwick. The “craft cider” movement is still in its infancy, but we’re trying to remain a leader in what we like to call “real” cider. In June, we brought you the Real Cider Manifesto and Ciderwick, a week’s worth of cider-related events focused on the new vintages. Among the ciders we discovered this year was Redbyrd, and we look forward to an expanded cider focus at all our events moving forward. Read about what the Village Voice had to say about it all in this profile.
And the year’s not over! Coming in the next week:
- *On Thursday, December 25th, it’s time once again for Craft Beer Christmas: $25 gets you a plate with drinks pay-as-you-go (tickets here)
- *On Friday, December 26th, it’s our annual Boxing Day Coat Drive: Your new or gently-used coat donation gets you a free American pint
- *On Wednesday, December 31st, we’ll be offering up a three-course Early Bird Prix Fixe Pairing Menu: $45 gets you dinner with drinks (last seating 7:30 p.m. – tickets here)
- *On Wednesday, December 31st, it’s our famous New Year’s Eve Open Bar: from 9 p.m. to midnight you’ll have an open bar to ring in 2015 (tickets here)
We truly are grateful for all of you who have joined us at Jimmy’s No. 43 in 2014, and we wish you the happiest of holidays and a fantastic new year. See you in 2015!