It’s almost the end of summer (there are still a few good beach days out there), so we’re already looking ahead to fall! Upcoming will be Pig Island (returning to Red Hook, Brooklyn, on Saturday, September 9th) where we’ll be grilling up our snout-to-tail dishes and we’re already making plans to celebrate NY Craft Beverage Week, NY Rye Week and – of course – Cider Week NYC.
And if you’re still in the city, be sure to check out this great photography exhibition, featuring the work of local photographers, James & Karla Murray, who have been telling the story of the Lower East Side’s Disappearing Mom-and-Pop Storefronts.
We’ll see you soon!
As a member of Good Beer Seal, Jimmy’s No. 43 is ready to welcome craft beer lovers around the city for the ninth annual July is Good Beer Month. When we launched the Good Beer Seal nine years ago with other great local bars (Blind Tiger, DBA, Burp Castle, Bar Great Harry), it was as a response to the very first NY Craft Beer Week, which was established to honor the various local and regional beers and brewers. But we knew that it was great beer bars that were responsible for bringing craft beer to the public, and great bars deserved their own celebration. Now, as many craft beer lovers flock to the brewery tasting rooms that have grown as the craft beer movement has, we still want to shout our appreciation for the great beer bars that continue to lead this craft beer renaissance.
It has been an amazing journey for us as part of the Good Beer Seal. For our first five years, Mayor Bloomberg declared that July is Good Beer Month, and this annual, month-long festival celebrates local establishments, our communities and the good beer we serve. Through special offers, media outreach and special events (both at off-site venues and at member bars), July is Good Beer Month is endorsed by city leaders and prominent figures in the beer scene.
This year’s calendar will include:
- The return of Edible’s Good Beer at 28 Liberty on July 20th where we will confer the 2017 Good Beer Seal Awards
- Hops & Hot Sauce: a 101-style guided tasting pairing – what else? – beer and hot sauce (tickets/info here)
- The Craft Beer Jam at WNYC’s The Greene Space with Beer Sessions Radio™ host Jimmy Carbone returns on July 19th as beer luminaries gather to discuss (and drink) with a live audience – guests will include Jeff O’Neil of Industrial Arts and John Segal of Segal (Hop) Ranch
- Special episodes of Beer Sessions Radio on July 11th, 18th and 25th - All shows will feature live tastings immediately after the show with the radio guests each Tuesday at 7PM at Pine Box Rock Shop
- The return of Food Karma Feasts at the Farm on Kent, July 27th
- We will once again be participating in the annual Good Beer Passport
July Good Beer Month is the one time when we focus on the craft beer bars and their owners, all of us who work tirelessly to bring excellence to our industry and to support our individual communities.
We welcome you to be an active part of this year’s month of great beer bars and the Beer Pioneers who bring craft beer to the city every day of the year.
Hope to see you at Jimmy’s No. 43 in July!
We love sour beers, especially in the summer.
- Leipziger Gose
- Ritterguts Gose
- Westbrook Gose
- Sierra Nevada Otra Vez
- Drei Fonteinen Oude Geuze
- Tilquin Geuze
- Hannsen Oud Geuze
Or purchase a Summer of Gose T-shirt (see logo above), which we’ll have on sale for $20 (artwork by the great Daniel Birch).
Join us and get your sour on!